Words in books play an ideal role in every person’s life by introducing them to a world of imagination, providing knowledge of the outside world, improving their reading, writing and speaking skills as well as boosting memory and intelligence. The importance of books in our life cannot be undermined for they not only help in broadening our horizons but also act as doorways of connecting us with the world around us. They function as survival kits and leave an impact on us.
Books are brimming with knowledge, they give us life lessons, they teach us about hardships, love, fear, and every little thing that is a part of life. Books have existed for centuries, encompassing the knowledge of our past, civilizations, and cultures.
Here are some of the benefits of books in our lives:
- Books are Our Best Companions
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
– Ernest Hemingway
When they say that books are our true best friends, it is absolutely true. Not only are books our companions but they are also our safe haven. Books never expect anything in return from us. Whenever we are tired or bored or stressed, picking up a book and reading helps us to go in another world – a world free of worries and everyday tension. At the same time, books enrich us and provide us with unimaginable knowledge.
There are many times in life when we feel tired and defeated or just feel like spending some quality time with ourselves – nothing better than sitting in a corner with a hot cup of tea and a good friend… or a nice book!
Good friends are one of the most important parts of our life and we can’t imagine our life without their companionship. Similarly, a book is like our best friend that constantly inspires us to become the best versions of ourselves. Books enrich our mind with knowledge just like a good friend. We can learn a lot from books and they can help us in overcoming our failures as well as shape our minds.
2. Books Illuminate Our Imagination
Printed or online, a book is a treasure chest of information playing an important role in boosting our imagination. Books are one of the most creative art forms, and every book we read has the power to transpose us into a different world filled with several amazing characters. Books can increase the power of our imagination and can act as a gate that opens doors to a dream world, far from the harsh realities of real life. Our imagination and creativity will be simulated on reading a good fictional book.
3. Books Changes Our Own Perspective of the World Around Us
A good book has the power to change the way we think, talk and analyze things. There are numerous books written in several genres such as fiction, non-fiction, novels, drama, thriller, suspense, science-fiction, self-help etc. Every book comes with its own unique perspective. If we are avid readers, we will get to create our own perspective, one which will help us stand apart from others. Reading gives us an advantage of analyzing different environments which pushes our mind to be observant. Books help in developing presence of mind and observational skills.
4. Books Build Self-confidence
Another reason that highlights the importance of books in our life is that books help in building our self-confidence. When we read a book, we get to learn about the struggles and hardships of various characters. Sometimes we even relate those situations with our personal lives. Understanding the situations and experiences of the characters of a book and how they overcome hardships and challenges give us courage and confidence to deal with our problems.
The advantages of books are not just limited to our personal lives; they can also help us in our professional growth. Reading books regularly can help us build our vocabulary and boosts our confidence to present ourselves in front of groups of people. A well-read person will always have more knowledge about various topics that will equip him/her better for social situations and for running conversations with groups of people.
5. Books Help Us Grow Mentally and Emotionally
Reading books comes with a wide range of benefits on our mental and physical health. Reading can expand our vocabulary and communication skills which can help us interact better with people. It is also an effective way of boosting our memory and enhancing our focus. Reading books makes us empathetic because when we engage with fictional characters, understand their experiences and relate with their challenges and hardships, it leaves a strong impact on our capacity to empathize with people. Having an empathetic attitude helps us grow into better persons.
6. Books Teach Us Life Lessons:
Most of us will have 4,000 weeks of life. How are we going to get the most out of them? Well, the first step might be to read a book, but one that doesn’t waste your time. The benefits of life changing books are not limited to the knowledge it provides us. They can help us identify our personality disorders and flaws, develop us into our better selves, and enhance our relationships. They can even help us save our marriages, and give us lessons to cherish lifelong.
7. Best Quotes on the Importance of Books:
Here are the best quotes on importance of books in our lives:
- “Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his needs, is good for him.” —Maya Angelou
- “Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light.”– Vera Nazarian
- “Literacy is a bridge from misery to hope.“ —Kofi Annan
- “To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.“ —Victor Hugo
- “We read to know we are not alone.” —C.S. Lewis
- “Books are lighthouses erected in the great sea of time. —E.P. Whipple
- “A parent or a teacher has only his lifetime; a good book can teach forever.” —Louis L’Amour
- “A person who won’t read has no advantage over one who can’t read.” —Mark Twain
- “Let us read and let us dance—two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.” —Voltaire
- “Wear the old coat and buy the new book.” —Austin Phelps
- “It is not true that we have only one life to live; if we can read, we can live as many more lives and as many kinds of lives as we wish.” —S.I. Hayakawa
- “There is more treasure in books than in the entire pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.” – Walt Disney
- “There are perhaps no days of our childhood we lived so fully as those we spent with a favorite book.” – Marcel Proust
- “Today a reader, tomorrow a leader.” – Margaret Fuller
- “If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” – Albert Einstein
- “There is no friend as loyal as a book.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.” – Emilie Buchwald
- “There is no such thing as a child who hates to read; there are only children who have not found the right book.” – Frank Serafini
- “Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book.”– Jane Smiley
- “Take a good book to bed with you—books do not snore.” – Thea Dorn
One can keep going on about the importance of books in our life since it is unlimited. Grab a book today and start reading!